Anyway, on with Baxter's NICU journal.
Day 1: Mike went with Baxter to the NICU immediately following his birth. He was gone for about an hour and a half while I was in recovery, so he'll probably have to fill in the details of what went on that night. He was able to give Bax his first feeding with a bottle. When Mike initially put the bottle in his mouth, Baxter looked at him like, "What am I supposed to do with this?", then after some coaxing, figured it out and took the whole 15 ml like a champ. The night NICU nurse was pleased with how Baxter was doing and thought he'd stay about 12 hours in NICU and would be able to go home with us when I was discharged.
After I was recovered from delivery, I was able to visit Bax in the NICU and cuddle with him. He was so tiny! His face was all swollen and the back of his head was cone-shaped from his journey down the birth canal, but I still thought he was perfect. Jackie (his nurse) gave him a bath and we all cooed over his super soft hair. We stayed with him until 2:30 am and then went to the post-partum unit, where I conked out from exhaustion.
The next morning, we visited Baxter and found out that he didn't do as well after we left. He had a period of apnea and turned blue. He wasn't waking up despite vigorous stimulation and just as they were going to give him supplemental oxygen, he started to breathe again. He also started spitting up his feeds and had problems regulating his temperature. Dr. Kregenow, his pediatrician, met with us and said she expected at least a week's stay in NICU to help him with his issues. She said he was pretty healthy and was acting like a typical 35-weeker with the issues of temperature regulation and coordinating breathing/sucking/swallowing.
That day he seemed to regurgitate every feeding through his mouth and nose. He was swaddled in so many blankets it was like he was in a cotton cocoon. I was concerned his nurse wasn't watching over him very well since I'd had to suction his nose a couple of times and she never came over to talk to us once, but luckily my friend Irina (whom I went to nursing school with) is one of the NICU nurses and kept an eye out for him the entire day. We were so grateful for Irina and felt he was in good hands with her there. We talked about his regurgitation issues and concerns about aspiration and not absorbing feeds and throwing off his blood sugars. I was hoping he wouldn't have to have IV nutrition like the other babies in the unit. We kept our fingers crossed.
On my side of the hospital, my BPs were fairly elevated. I told my nurses (three of them) that I wasn't getting my scheduled antihypertensive medication and that I wasn't seen by an OB yet for follow up, but instead of looking into it they just passed it onto the next nurse. I was too tired and worried about Baxter to really get into it with them, but I was keeping tabs on what was going on. I was like a sinister Santa Claus, making a list and checking it twice.
Day 2: Baxter's nurse this day was Ashley, and she was awesome. She actually has 5-month old twins who were preemies and so she knew what kinds of feelings we were having and helped us feel better about the whole situation. She let us have a more active role in Baxter's care, letting us do kangaroo care, change his diaper, and was very good about educating us on various aspects of the NICU, Bax's situation, and baby care in general. Later in the day, Baxter got an NGT (nasogastric tube) to ensure he'd get nutrition since he didn't seem to be cueing for feeds. The plan would be to first offer a bottle or the breat, see if he'd take anything orally, and whatever he didn't eat on his own would be put down his NGT. I was pleased that he would have tube feeds over IV nutrition and hoped the light would click on for him soon.
I also had a better day with my nursing care this day. My nurse was Terry, and I told her about what was going on with my BP medication and everything. She actually listened to me (and assessed me properly) and by 9 am, I had seen the OB and all of my issues were addressed. She was fabulous.
Day 3: Baxter had Ashley again as his nurse. I worked with the lactation consultant with breastfeeding and pumping. We found out that Baxter has an attached frenulum (just like his daddy had as a baby), making him "tongue tied". She manhandled my boobs and said my nipples retracted, and apparently this combination of attached frenulum + retracting nipples = frustrating, usually unsuccessful breastfeeding sessions. I was fitted for a nipple shield which seems to work him latch better -- that is, when he's not trying to pull it off of me. We discover this day that Baxter likes to grab and pull at things, especially his binky pacifier and NGT. Since his NGT was placed, he hasn't spit anything up and has been absorbing all this feeds. Hooray!
Mike also changed his first diaper this day, and it was a nice poopy one. I video taped some of it because I was cracking up at his reaction. Baxter was completely calm, holding out both of his legs for his daddy. Mike was almost in a panic trying to get to get it done without choking on the smell or getting anything on his hands. The wet wipes were flying and Mike was sweaty when he was done. Hilarious.
I was finally discharged from the hospital. I almost thought I wasn't going to be, with Terry and Ellen (the care assistant) having to track me down in the nursery for BP checks and medication. Hee hee.
By the afternoon we noticed that Baxter was turning yellow. His night nurse, Sarah, expected his bilirubin levels to be up and him needing to be placed under phototherapy lights soon. If he needed phototherapy, he'd have to be placed in an isolette to help his temperature regulation as babies need to be wearing only a diaper for maximum exposure. We were in the smallest corner of the NICU (Mike referred to it as "the chokey") and hoped we'd get moved to a larger space if he'd need the isolette.
Day 4: Molly was Baxter's nurse this day. He was in the isolette when we came to see him and it looked like a he was getting a suntan, all stretched out with little sunglasses on. I discovered what engorgement is as my milk comes in and I have a terrible night of pain. My boobs feel like rocks and look like I just had plastic surgery. Even the feeling of air blowing on them is painful. No one ever warned me about this, I grumble. I work with the lactation consultant again and she puts me on a military-style pumping regimen. There goes what little free time I had left! The good news is Baxter seems to have figured out how to latch and breastfeed a little better today. He also seems genuinely interested in these high-contrast flashcards of sea creatures a co-worker of mine gave us. His little mind is amazing!
Day 5: We didn't catch the name of Bax's nurse today, but she was cool. We're moved out of the chokey into a more spacious area. His nurse tells us that when Baxter wants something, he wants it now. We find that out when he fusses for his binky, and later when we try to breastfeed and he's not getting instant gratification. He's discovered he can kick his legs against the rolled blanket at the isolette and scoot himself up, causing his eye protection to loosen, which he then attempts to rip off. We think he's playing mind games with us regarding feeding. We go home a little frustrated.
I bet you guys are exhausted. I remember when they recommend I pump 8 times a day to maintain my milk supply...which meant every 2 1/2 to 3 hours (because it took 15 to 20 mintues each session ...and then there was washing all the parts.) You go from laying around and resting all the time, to being sleep deprived, sore and feeling like you live in the hospital. It gets better. It sounds like Baxter is doing well and will be coming home soon. He is a cutie!
ReplyDeleteErin, that's exactly how I feel! I'm trying to pump every 2-2.5 hrs but it's hard. I feel like just as I'm done pumping and washing the parts, I have enough time to go to the bathroom and then I have to pump again. It doesn't help with the sleep deprivation either. When can I start spacing out pumping?
ReplyDelete