Interestingly enough, one of my friends from high school also gave up using Facebook for Lent after being "inspired" by my decision to do so, and even had this to say about it for those unfamiliar with the religious tradition:
"Why give things up for Lent? "The purpose of Lent is to be a season of fasting, self-denial, Christian growth, penitence, conversion, and simplicity. Lent, which comes from the Teutonic (Germanic) word for springtime, can be viewed as a spiritual spring cleaning: a time for taking spiritual inventory and then cleaning out those things which hinder our corporate and personal relationships with Jesus Christ and our service to him. Thus it is fitting that the season of Lent begin with a symbol of repentance: placing ashes mixed with oil on one's head or forehead. However, we must remember that our Lenten disciplines are supposed to ultimately transform our entire person: body, soul, and spirit. Our Lenten disciplines are supposed to help us become more like Christ. Eastern Christians call this process theosis, which St. Athanasius aptly describes as 'becoming by grace what God is by nature'."Mike was even throwing around ideas of what to give up for Lent as a show of support, even though he's not Catholic. He says he will pack a lunch for work instead of buying a hot lunch. Easy for him to say, since I'm the one who usually makes (or doesn't make) his lunch. He and his co-workers also tried being nice to difficult patients they encounter at the pharmacy, but apparently that only lasted until 11 am.
So, the countdown to Easter begins. I have been excited about Easter festivities ever since the Christmas season ended, mainly because Bax can walk now and I think he would really love going on an egg hunt. He's been playing with his Easter basket from last year and having fun opening up the eggs and filling them with whatever fits -- felt food, little cars, or raisins. I've been collecting little goodies and making fun crafts for his Easter basket, only to discover tonight that I work all Easter weekend. (Insert sad trombone sound.)
What have you (or would you) give up for Lent? I always found it interesting to see what people sacrifice. I know a couple of people who are attempting vegetarianism, giving up coffee, etc. I really wish I could give up housework.

No comments:
Post a Comment