I've been off from work since last Wednesday, which has been incredibly nice. I've been able to spend time with Michael and our families and get back into what's been happening in each other's lives. Although it's been a busy week so far, I've enjoyed spending time with everyone.
Today I spent the day with my mom. My dad's on vacation in Oceanside visiting my aunts and uncles, as two of them have been in the hospital recently. Whenever my dad's away, my sister and I try to spend time with our mom since she doesn't like being alone. I spent time with her, Bee, and Keith on Saturday, but today was just mom and me. We met at the Tacoma Mall and resisted the temptation to buy things, then I drove the two of us to Sumner since I knew it's a place mom wanted to see and doesn't often get a chance to go to. (She doesn't like to drive very far from Gig Harbor.) Afterwards we went back to the apartment and she cooked me my favorite Filipino dish, sinigang. It's a tamarind-based soup with meat and vegetables in it. We went with pork, okra, and spinach -- the veggies were overcooked and the soup was super-sour, just as I like it. Mmm...sarap.
I had a good time hanging out with mom today. It made me realize how much I miss having her around to talk to (and eat her yummy Filipino cooking). I really hope we can move closer to our parents next year, especially if we plan on starting a family. I think my mom and dad will be really cute Lolo and Lola someday. They'll teach their apo the Filipino values of family, faith, food, and karaoke that I grew up with. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment